This monumental castle was founded at the beginning of 14th century by certain nobleman Buz of Buzov. This fact confirms a document of 1317. After thirty years only, it was transferred into ownership of rich aristocrats of Wildenberg. These aristocrats let built comfortable palace. On one part of fortification, there was constructed high tower with walls of 4 meters width. In 1382, Jošt, Moravian Margrave (cousin of King Wenceslas IV.), bought the castle from Beneš of Wildenberg, and stony fortifications were constructed during his stay here. At the end of 14th century, Jošt handed over his dominion to his follower, executive officer Heralt of Kunštát. After his death, the castle was transferred into ownership of his brother Boček. His son belonged to those, to whom Jan Žižka delivered, before his death, a fight against „Lord´s truth“. Maybe, Žižka could be even a godfather of George, Viktorin´s son, future King of Bohemia, born in 1420. So, Bouzov could be one of his possible native places. In 1466, the castle was handed over by George into administration to his friend, Zdeněk Kostka of Postupice. Within King´s disputes with Mathias Korvín, (most of Moravian followers joined him), castle of Bouzov became one of places, completely loyal to George of Poděbrady. Hungarian troops conquested the castle later without success, however, the dominion in neighbourhood was inferior under influenece of these troops for more than 150 years.
Building arrangements of castle were effected on break of 15th and 16th century, under guidance of administrative officer Hanus Haugvitz of Biskupice. In the course of 30 years war, Bouzov became tower of strength of Habsburg Emperors. The castle was besieged by troops of Swedish Commander Lennart Torstensson. However, it is not sure, wheather the castle was conquested or no. In second half of 17th century, the castle was transferred into ownership of German Knights´ Order. Their members specialised the development of forestry, cattle and sheep breeding and use of mining of mineral wealth. Two hundred years later, Archduke Eugen Habsburg was so delighted with its atmosphere that he decided to return to the castle its original Gothic-Renaissance face and re-make it as his representative seat for himself and for his mother Elisabeth. His architect, Professor Georg Joseph Hauberissser, succeded to remind nearly perfect illusion of Medioeval aristocratic seat. After First World World, a part of Order´s ownership was nationalized. Within Second World War, the castle became a place of elite commando of German SS troops. After a war, the castle was confiscated and Bouzov was declared as state castle.
Opening Time Period:
Guided Tour April and October Last tour May and Sept. Last tour June-August Last tour
weekends daily, except daily, except
holidays Mondays Mondays
presentation 14,00 h 15,00 h 17,00 h
Castle Bouzov 13,30 h 14,30 h 16,30 h
On traces of
owners 9,00-15,00 9,00-16,00 9,00-18,00
How the castle
is being built 12,00 h 14,00 h 16,00 h
birds´view 14,00 h 15,00 h 17,00 h
Guided tour Full rate Pensioners Reduced Reservation Surcharge for
tickets surcharge explanation in
presentation CZK 100 CZK 70 CZK 50 CZK 2,-/ CZK 40,-/
Castle Bouzov CZK 150 CZK 100 CZK 70 CZK 2,-/ CZK 40,-/
Wedding Castle CZK 100 CZK 70 CZK 50 CZK 2,-/ CZK 40,-/
How the castle
is being built CZK 150 CZK 100 CZK 70 CZK 2,-/ CZK 40,-/
birds´view CZK 50 CZK 50 CZK 50 CZK 2,-/ CZK 40,-/
Information and warnings on travelling abroad is to be found HERE.