Hladnov water-tower - Czech republic
Watertower Hladnov In Slezská Ostrava was built within 1908-1909, according to projects of Jaroslav Volenec. The building was constructed by local company E. Vojtek and K. Rossmann. Watertower is connected with firemen arsenal and other prismatic tower with staircases and look out tower.
Ceramic Relief Fountain
Supporting walls of staircase were boarded with ceramic reliefs fountain. It is Ostrava-varianta of fountain on the corner of union wing of National House in Prostějov. This artefact proved to be as most important artistic detail of this Ostrava construction.
Reconstruction of the building
First watertower reconstruction was effected in 1920. Later, in 1960, its new function was taken over by near new stock-books. In 1973, the reconstruction of former watertower into its new function was terminated in accordance with project of 1970, worked out by George Gwuzd, in cooperation with Wenceslas Safar.
From outside, the arrangement was presented by change of window holes, facades and covering of restaurant floor with wooden boards. However, from technical equipment, there was preserved absolutely nothing.
In 1992, on base of older plan, the tower was declared as cultural monument. At present, the construction lost its function as view point as, just in their neighbourhood, there is being built seven-storey flat complex. So, water tower disappeared definitively from panorama of Slezska Ostrava.
Text: Václav Zamba
Information and warnings on travelling abroad is to be found HERE.