Antonín Dvořák theatre in Ostrava - Czech republic
Antonín Dvořák theatre in Ostrava
Antonín Dvořák Theatre forms a part of Moravian-Silesian National Theatre in Ostrava. The theatre has its seat in a building of Neo-Baroque style, constructed according to plans of architect Alexander Graf. The construction was made by company Noe and Storch from Ostrava, under supervision of Joseph Schlogl. Ironconcrete tie-beams were used here for the first time.
Theatre spaces were decorated by sculptors from John Bock and company. The statues placed on facades are works of Eduard Smetana. Ceiling picture in auditorium is made by Eduard Veith, painter. In main foyer, there are placed two big relievs - Drama and Music. It is a work of Helena Schulzova, academic sculptor. Main curtain, presenting allegory for Work, Art and Trade, is a work of Koutsky and Rottonar atelier.
The theatre was open for public on 28th September 1907, and till 1919, there were played here performances in German language only. Later, the theatre became a standard scene of National Theatre of Moravia and Silesia. During 2nd World War, the theatre named: Czech Theatre Moravia-Ostrava. However, shortly is was necessary to move into National House. After 1945, the theatre took the name: Regional Theatre, since 1949 renamed to Zdenek Nejedlý Theatre, since 1990 renamed again to Antonín Dvořák Theatre.
Text: Václav Zamba
Information and warnings on travelling abroad is to be found HERE.