Kinský Parentage Palace In Prague - Czech republic
Kinský Parentage Palace In Prague
Nerby the river: Vltava
Palace of Kinsky Parentage is a building in Rococco style, situated in Prague, Old Town Square. It is placed near to John Huss Statue Monument, not far from building „U kamenného zvonu“ (Stone Bell House).
In past, two other houses were built on place of today´s palace. In basement, on its west side, there were preserved rests of Romanesque house, and on northside, rests of early Gothic house. The palace was constructed within 1755-1765, accoriding to Kilian Ignatz Dientzenhofer´s plans. Frontal part is ended with two attics, decorated with several statues, made by Ignatz Frank Platzer.
After death of Count Gotz, Prince Rudolph Kinsky bought the palace in 1768. During ownership of Kinsky Parentage, the interiors were reconstructed in Neo-classical style. Even the extention of the palace was effected. Second courtyard was enclosed among three wings in Neo -classical style, according to project of J. O. Kranner. In 1835, there was added another house, reconstructed in Neo-Baroque style. At the end of 19th century, German Grammar School was placed here. Famous writer Franz Kafka visited this institute within 1893-1901. In 1949, Kinsky Palace became a seat of graphical art of Prague National Gallery. Moreover, it was declared, together with Old Town Square, as a National Culture Monument in 1992. At present, National Gallery Picture Collection - Countryside of 19th century in Bohemian Art is placed here.
Text: Václav Zamba
Translation: ing. Jan Jonáš
Information and warnings on travelling abroad is to be found HERE.