Průhonice Castle Park - Czech republic
Zoo and botanic gardens
Průhonice Castle Park
Nerby the river: Vltava
Count Ernest Emanuel Silva-Tarrouca was one of most important castle-owners, including adjoining dominions. He created here a park, top work of Czech nature-countryside style. As far as the sightseeings are concerned, it is, for sure, Romanesque church of Virgin Mary, consecrated just in 1187.
The Count ordered the renovation of Průhonice Chateau within 1889 - 1894 at architect George Stibral. So, park´s history begins in 1885, when Count Ernest Emanuel Silva-Tarrouca wished to realize his dream about park face. He succeeded to buy surrounding estates and increased park extent up to 220 ha. Very careful choice of suitable plants was effected in such case. So, this park presents very important collection of plants, from esthetical point of view, as well as from scientific value.
Most attractive plants in castle park, there are sorts of rhododendrons and azaleas. Inside the whole park, you can find round 8000 sorts of its taxons and cultivars, whereas 40 sorts were improved on spot.
Opening time table:
April-October: 7,00 – 19,00 h
November – March: 8,00 – 17,00 h
Text: Václav Zamba
Translation: ing. Jan Jonáš
Information and warnings on travelling abroad is to be found HERE.