Cheb

Published: 31.3.2008
First written notice comes of 1061. In 1167, Cheb region was in ownership of Emperor Friedrich Barbarossa. Growing power of this Emperor was manifested by constructions of magnificent Emperor's seats, known as „Pfalz“. They were not constructed for defence purposes, on the contrary, they have to present Emperor's power.

However, the start of construction of Cheb´s Pfalz is not noticed. Anyway, several visits of Emperor and his family prove the importance of Cheb castle. In 1203, the town of Cheb is Cheb Castlementioned for the first time. Within 15th century, Cheb became as one of beggest town of Bohemian Crown Countries. Within 30-years war, Cheb became, thanks to its strategic position, the operation basis for both fighting parties. In 1631, the town was captured by Saxonian soldiers, and successively, it was in possession of Albrecht of Wallenstein. In 1647, the town was captured by Swedish army.

Cheb church. NicholasHowever, the death of Albrecht Wallenstein did not changed the situation in town at all. The town was devastated, debased and at the edge of economical destruction. Anyway, its strategic position at western Bohemian border decided that in July of 1652, the Emperor Ferdinand III signed a document of town changing to military fortress. At the end of 17th century, Cheb was officially named as border fortress. In Cheb Squaremiddle of 17th century, the town´s economical situation started to be improved. In 1723, the town was taken - as sunken pledge (mortgage) - as a part of Bohemian Crown Country, and it became as free Bohemian King´s Town.

Anyway, to a period of end 18th and beginning of 19th century comes an important period of construction of Františkovy Lázně (Franzensbad), till 1851 as ownership of Cheb´s administration. The springs, marked as Cheb´s mineral water, were used for cures since 16th century, and this water was brought to Cheb, Sandy Gatethe patients, staying in Cheb. Quite quick development of this spa, named as Františkovy since 1807, helps to economical as well as social development of the town.

At the beginning of 20th century, we can find in Cheb, except of rich citizens and cumulated financial capital, also important machinery factories, foodstuff companies, textile as well as construction factories. As to important town´s monuments: it is, first of all, a castle with town´s fortification from the second half of 12th century, St.Nicholas church and St.Wenceslas church. Town´s House situated in lower part of a square and New Town Hall of 18th century.

 

Text: Markéta Řandová

Photo: Wikimedia Commons, Libor Dušek, Karelj, č.2, č.3, Jan Sokol

 

 

 

zpět



Discussion at the article (0)


Related Articles

The Town Of Sokolov
Published: 12.11.2010
District town of Sokolov is situated in the centre of Karlovy Vary Region, in an altitude of 401 metres above sea level. The town has rich hops-cultivation as well mining past, presence of rare ores, where even now the brown coal is excavating in quarries (in Sokolov Basin).


Related Photogallery

CZ, Becov nad Teplou – St Maurus Reliquary
Preserved Gothic castle compound is the main landmark in the town. It sits on a rock which will g...

Place

Czech republic

Partners:

We were awarded the certificate even thanks to you!

Dôveryhodná firma 2017

 

Guide:

Important Information:

Information and warnings on travelling abroad is to be found HERE.

Mobile application:

aplikácia Infoglobe

stiahnuť zadarmo pre Androidstiahnuť zadarmo pre iPhone

 

 

Today:saturday 2. 7. 2022
Holiday:Patricie
Today:
saturday 2.7.
14 °C
Tomorrow:
sunday 3.7.
15 °C

TIP: INFOGLOBE app is available for your device, download HERE.

X

TIP: INFOGLOBE app is available for your device, download HERE.

X