Kapitula is situated in Spis Region, just opposite majestic Spis Castle and only 15 kms distant from historical town of Levoča. Originally, it was an independent community, and since 1948, it forms a quarter of Spisske Podhradie.
A characteristic sign of Spisska Kapitula is presented by St.Martin Romanesque Cathedral. This church with two towers was enlarged in 1493 by supplementary building of Zapolska chapel in Gothic style. The interior consists of valuable Gothic altars, statues and important frescos, picturing the coronation of Charles Robert. Gothic time period is also characterized with valuable chalices and banks. Leo Albus, the oldest Romanesque plastic art, is also very important subject. In the Cathedral, there are regularly taken place two divine services each Sunday, at seven and at nine o´clock a.m. The interested parties can visit the Cathedral also by means of organized sightseeing tour within working days. The cathedral is open for public in the morning and in the afternoon for a fee of EUR 1,- or for EUR 0,70 (reduced ticket). Except the church, there is worth to see preserved protective wall with two entrance gates, which served as fortification of the whole complex in past.This complex was consisted of Bishop´s Palace of Renaissance style with Baroque arrangements, Clock Tower of 1793 and Gothic, seminary building, arranged later in Renaissance and Baroque style. In some small street, leading throughout Spisska Kapitula, you can find the houses of chapter´s canons. So, Spisska Kapitula could be taken for main centre of church life in Spis Region. Here, there is to be found priests´ seminary of Bishop Jan Vojtassak, where young men do their preparation for priest´s profession. Except of all of this, also so called spirit trainings are effected here. The environment of Spisska Kapitula is typical with its calm, where not only the students but also the visitors, have the space for prayer. Nevertheless, most interesting thing is beautiful view on the greatest castle of Central Europe - Spis Castle, only 6 kms distant from Spisska Kapitula.
Text and photo: Karin Bogschová
|Discussion at the article (0)|
Information and warnings on travelling abroad is to be found HERE.