CZ: Klobouky U Brna - T.G. Masaryk's Popular Place
Klobouky (u Brna) has approx. two thousands of inhabitants. The village is placed inside picturesque valley, in south-east direction from Brno, between Nedanow and Zumperk Hills. The community has also in its cadastre the quarters of Martinice and Bohumilice. You can find there grammar school, (visited also by children from surrounding villages), Hynek Bíma basic music school, secondary technical school, specialized for agriculture, Bethlehem Diaconia Centre, a branch of Czech Brethren Evangelic Church, giving assistance a home and care for adults, handicapped persons and mentally handicapped children.
Traces of the first colonization come to paleolite and neolite era. On the other hand, Middle Age was much more important for complex development of this area. At that time period, Lev of Klobouky founded a monastery there, and raised a little the level of dominion as well as communities of the environs. Moreover, Klobouky obtained a right for organization of week market (nowadays. there are taken place there two markets, such as: May Market and Wenceslas Market). In 1298, the community got a status of market town. During rule of Emperor Ferdinand I. (1503-1564), Klobouky became more and more important point along paths from Hungary to Moravia. However, during 16th and 17th centuries, this market town suffered from several attacks of neighbouring Hungarian, but also from Swedes and Turks. Duffek Parentage and Baronesse Mary Mitis became the last proprietors of this dominion.
Castle (built in 1589) forms an important part of the locality. An abbot Ambroz of Telč let it construct as a summer resort for superiors of Premonstratesian Order of Zábrdovice. The brothers Augustin and Ignacius, the Knights of Neuwall, formed a face of the castle in characteristic way. They re-built the castle interiors into Neo-classical form. Anyway, when the castle was in possession of Joseph Duffek, great landowner, some rooms of the groundfloor were changed into local Museum. However, in 1932, when the building was bought by town administratives from Baroness Mary Mitis, Museum collection were transferred into spaces of former granary. In front of the castle, you can admire St. John Nepomuk statue, the work of late Baroque time, coming obviously from the middle of 18th century.
In 1870, the parents of T. G. Masaryk come there, looking for a job (working possibilities). Later, Masaryk had an affection for this countryside, made friends with ThDr Ferdinand Císař, Evangelic priest, and afterthat, he spent there his holidays there, together with Charlotte, his wife.
This construction remained as the last one, from originally eight wind-mills, placed in Klobouky in past. This building was constructed in 1748, according to the project of Jan Rigler, for Zábrdovice Monastery. However, after its destruction, the mill changed several owners. In 1938, the construction was nearly destructed, as its owner, F.Bitominsky, let it to take to pieces and had the intention to sell the wood Nevertheless, local authorities rejected such idea, and finally, the mill was bought by Civic Cooperative Bank, and this institute let it reconstructed.
However, during 2nd World War, the construction suffered from big fire, but, thanks to a group of local enthusiastic persons, the mill was completely renovated (within 1983-1985) and opened for public. Windmill in Klobouky belongs to such buildings which are arranged with complete internal equipment and is fully working.
St. Lawrence Church
In 1860, local Evangelic Reformation Community obtained a permit to construct a tower with four bells. In 1883, under leadership of builder Antonin Strnad, the construction of the church begun, and the building was terminated at the end of the same year. In general, such building is valued thanks to its modern architecture – the vault is hung on iron construction of framework, and the galleries are supported with narrow iron columns.
St. Barbra Chapel
This chapel was constructed in 1669 by care of Zábrdovice Monastery, together with brick-built stages, presenting us a rebound of Baroque time devotion, emphasizing pilgrimages and worship of saints. In 1709, the frescos were pained in chapel, describing St. Barbra life. However, Emperor Joseph II. changed its function from chapel into granary. Nevertheless, the function of a chapel was renewed in the middle of 19th century. Each year, a pilgrimage is organized there, on occasion of Holy Trinity Holiday. The other morning diving service is taken place regularly during St. Cyril and Method Holiday.
Moravian Vineyard Path - red marked cycling route - is passing through Klobouky u Brna. It is main route in South Moravian Area. Its length makes totally 242 kilometres and is arranged into several sections. Another cycling route is Velké Pavlovice Path, leading throughout this harmonical countryside among vineyards and open wine-cellars, where the sections make totally 110 kilometres.
Text: Maxim Kucer
Translation: Ing. Jan Jonáš
|Discussion at the article (0)|
Information and warnings on travelling abroad is to be found HERE.