Rocky fortifications were constructed in town in the second half of 14th century. In 1411, the town was German Knight´s Order confiscated by King Wenceslas IV, and successively, in 1421, it was plundered by Hussite troops. In 1605, the inhabitants were redeemed from servitude and Chomutov became a King´s town. Since 16th century, there were open minings of alum in the surroundings, and in 19th century there were open brown-coal minings and iron works. In 20th century, there was open weapons´ branch of Poldi-factory.
In a period 1960-1980 the town of Chomutov was extensively reconstructed, anyway, the historical nucleus was not damaged, and in 1992 declared as a town´s preserved zone. As to historical monuments: it is a Baroque Column of Holy Trinity on 1st May square, early Gothic Church of St.Catherine. town hall of 1607, late Gothic Church of Virgin Mary and Baroque Church of St.Ignatius.
Text: Markéta Řandová
|Discussion at the article (0)|
Information and warnings on travelling abroad is to be found HERE.