Kroměříž is one of most visited places not only local tourists but also visitotrs from abroad. In 1207 the town was accepted – by Přemysl Ottakar II – as an ownership of Olomouc Episcopate, afterthat in 1290 raised to a town. Within 30-years´war most of town was destructed by fire. Anyway, with arrival of Charles II Liechtenstein of Kastelkorn, Bishop of Olomouc, thetown started slowly but surely brought to life. Charles II let rebuilt former castle and used ir as his summer residence. Two beautuful gardens were established here.
This Archbishop Castle belongs to most important monuments in Czech Republic. It was therefore, including both gardens, put down to register of World Heritage UNESCO in 1998. In the same year, Kroměříž received a title: The Most Beautiful Town of Czech Republic.
To other places of interest belongs Archbishop´s Mint-Office, founded also by Charles II. Liechtenstein in 1665. A year later there were struck the first coins. A festive moment was a struck of first gold medal of 100 ducat of weight in 1669.
The heart of a town is formed by Velké náměstí (Great Square). It served former as a Market Place, having the dimension of 1ha. We find here St.Virgin Mary Column, built after plague epidemic in 1680. A fountain is also worth to see, it was constructed in 1655 as a part of water-conduit system in town.
As to natives born in town: it is Karel Kryl - (singer, poet and graphist), Max Švabinský (painter and engraver) and Miloš Macourek (writer and scenarist).
|Discussion at the article (0)|
Information and warnings on travelling abroad is to be found HERE.