River Tichá Orlice (Quiet Orlice) - Czech republic
Smaller Orlice sources in eastern direction of Horní Orlice in an altitude of 780 m of sea level.
|Basic information about river|
The navigability of upper section: it is necessary to check it on spot in Mladkov. The plain section in Lichkov can be confused. If the section in Mladkov is navigable, the river can be driven up to Jablonné. Anyway, the sufficient water level is to be reached after snow thaw in spring or after heavy rains. However, the orientative water registers on its lower section cannot be always decisive. From Letohrad, the river is navigable at water level corresponding to 110 cm in Malá Čermná, this could be O.K. for most periods of the year.
The upper section requires more experienced watermen, from Letohrad it is possible the navigation in open boats.
Smaller river of Orlice sources in eastern direction of Horní Orlice in an altitude of 780 m.
It flows to northwest, with small changes in this direction. Near to Albrechtice, it forms successively with Divoká Orlice (Wild Orlice) the united Orlice. Its river basin makes
755 km². The upper Orlice section flows along table-land between meadows. Later, before Mladkov, the river comes to a breakage, and the rapids and one small cascade appear.
Nice stream as well as slope continues in an afforested valley up to Jablonné, where this section terminates with unpassable stages. After Jablonné, the river is less violent and streams throughout deep valley between forests. After Choceň, it is again a plain river, flowing through leafy forests and meadows. There are overgrown places on some sections.
The river bed in the whole upper flow is narrow (6-10 m), stony, partially bouldary, also clayish and sandy. We recommend to check the weirs before driving, some of them are passable. The river was damaged by flooding. On its upper flow - over Mladkov - the water levelled a bed a little, so the cascade stages are not expressive, however, there are washed away places, so some landslips to the river can occure, so some problematic section could appear.
We find the official camping places on this route with difficulties, anyway, you find the accommodation in most of towns and communities along the river.
It is available in Lichkov, Mladkov, Jablonné nad Orlicí, Verměřovice, Letohrad, Ústí nad Orlicí, Brandýs nad Orlicí, Choceň, Borohrádek, Žďár, Albrechtice nad Orlicí, Týniště nad Orlicí.
It is available in health centres in Jablonné nad Orlicí, Letohrad, Ústí nad Orlicí, Brandýs nad Orlicí, Choceň and Týniště nad Orlicí.
Places of interest:
- Mladkov - Baroque church of 18th century, starting point to a fortress Bouda
- Jablonné nad Orlicí - carpentered people´s buildings, Baroque church of 18th century.
- Letohrad - Baroque church of 16th century with a park, museum, town´s protected zone.
- Lanšperk - ruin of a castle of 13th century.
- Dolní Libchavy - people´s architecture, Neo-classicist church of 19th century.
- Ústí nad Orlicí - Baroque town hall and civic houses of 18th century, parish church with a chapel.
- Brandýs nad Orlicí - rests of a castle of 13th century, Baroque castle and a church.
- Choceň - Renaissance castle of 16th century, English park.
- Borohrádek - Classical castle with a park.