River Váh - Slovakia
The river begins by confluence of White and Black Váh-rivers.
|Basic information about river|
This river begins by confluence of White and Black Váh-rivers at the community of Králova Lehota in an altitude of 664 m above sea level. It flows in west direction up to the town of Žilina, here turns to southwest, and from Nové Mesto nad Váhom it flows to to south up to its mouth. River basin makes 10640 square kilometres, flow-length makes 351,3 kms.
On its upper flow, the river springs very quickly through gravel and proportionate narrow river-bed with often small rapids up to the town of Liptovsky Mikuláš. Afterthat, here starts the first dam from Váh-cascade. Further, there is possible to use some sections only (up to the community of Kralovany, and from Vrútky to Žilina). However, in the sections below dams, especially on middle and lower flow, the water is missing in many sections, and the navigation in canals is not allowed. From this reason, Váh-river section from Žilina is not used by watermen, except the section over last stage of Váh-cascade near to the town of Piešťany, where the river has just plain character. The descend of upper Váh-section is organized (within scope of Watermen International Tatra Circle) each year. On the other hand, on the route Hlohovec-Šala on lower section, there are taken place the action, known as „Pltnicka patdesiatka“ or „Spring Friendship Sluice“ from Hlohovec to Komárno. In Liptovsky Mikuláš, there are operating artificial slalom routes. Its drive for adult watermen could be delt with dockyard in advance.
It is available in places, such as: Liptovsky Hrádok, Liptovsky Mikuláš, Ružomberok, Kralovany, Žilina, Bytča, Považská Bystrica, Púchov, Trenčín, Piešťany, Hlohovec, Sereď, Šala, Nové Město nad Váhom.
It is available in places, such as: Liptovsky Hrádok, Liptovsky Mikuláš, Ružomberok, Kralovany, Žilina, Bytča, Považská Bystrica, Trenčín, Nové Město nad Váhom, Piešťany, Sered, Šala.
Places of interest:
- Liptovsky Hrádok: rests of Gothic castle, Renaissance castle, ethnographical museum, small town know as „Pod lipami“ with valuable church. The place is starting point for tours in Low-West- as well as High Tatra.
- Liptovsky Mikuláš: see Demanovka.
- Ružomberok: industrial town with tradition of revolutionary workers´ movement (participation in Slovak National Uprising), Liptov Museum, L. Fulla Gallery. Three originally Gothic churches. In near village of Vlkolinec, there is to be found monument reservation of people´s architecture. In suburbs: ruins of Likava Gothic castle.
- Strečno: castle ruins of 13th century. Place of hard struggles during Slovak National Uprising(national cultural monument) Strečno-Valley.
- Žilina: district town of Middle Age origin with important history and many architectonical sightseeings. Sear of Transport University.Budatín Castle of 13th century arranged in Baroque style (museum). Gothic church and bell-tower in Renaissance style. Baroque churches and monasteries. Puppet theatre, including performances.
- Bytča: industrial town. production of skis, sleds, ice-hockey sticks, etc. Renaissance water-castle (national cultural monument), so called building palace, church in Gothic-Renaissance style.
- Trenčín: district town. Important industrial centre of Pováží-region with its machinery and textile production. Local castle of 11th century (museum). In past, there was Roman camp here. Rests of dwelling house, rests of Slave dwelling house. Gothic church, Baroque monastery and church (Gallery).
- Šala: seat of nitrogen factory (biggest in Slovakia), fortificated castle in Renaissance-Baroque style.
|Today:||friday 2. 6. 2023|