Eastern Slovakia: Castle Krásna Hôrka
But on Saturday, 10th March 2012 broke out at the castle a large fire that destroyed all roofs, including the interior of the upper Gothic castle.
In the middle of Gemers land above the village Krásnohorské Podhradí you can find one of the few almost completely preserved castles, thanks to art-historical heritage to attract visitors from around the world. Its foundations date back to the early Middle Ages, when the Ákošovci family began to sell off Batizov and Mariassy families and those were the first to build a castle. Of course you can´t talk about the castle as we know it today, because it was a fortified habitable Gothic tower at the very top of the limestone rocks called the donjon.
Ákošovci family later known as the genus Bebekovci found that the properties sold were much higher, mainly due to the mineral resources located in the vicinity of the castle. Thus began the judge for the return of beautiful hot with Mariassy family. The dispute lasted several decades, but the result was in 1352 a definitive acquisition Bebekovci estate family, who expanded the castle and rebuilt 300 years long. In the 16th century Francis Bebek significantly upgraded the fortress, mainly because of the needs and concerns of Turkish raids, so that the new fortifications built (fortification) system: an irregular triangle of fortifications with three massive corner towers. Shortly after this reconstruction began to pass on the legend of cruelty lord of the castle, which gave the crashing bells from the church tower and then cast them out of cannons. The truth of this legend confirms largest collection of original bronze works in Slovakia at the Museum Betliar. Cruelty Francis Bebek were confirmed and executed in captivity and the Protestant preacher Andrew Fischer. In doing so he wanted to improve its name in the eyes of the Catholic Church, at that time threatened the reform movement. Francis deceit also resulted in detection of fake mint when alone Bebek care of quickly executed its "partner", the captain of the Castle Matthew Murano Base. In 1556 he fought with Turkish troops against the emperor and became a defender of evangelicals, and it proved fateful. They proclaimed him a traitor, stripped him of property and probably in 1558 and murdered.
Subsequently, the castle came under the administration of the imperial court. Interestingly, in eight years was followed by seven lords. One of the last was Peter I. Andrássy, the first Andrássy on Krásná Horka and Gemer at all. An 400-year government influential family, who did not try to change significantly the strength, rather it "enrich" the other palaces. In the 17th mid century castle was built, which was probably ceremonial purpose. In 1883 Andrássyovci welcome an important guest, the romantic writer Jókaiho Mora, who collected materials for his historical novel. This beautiful work of famous not only heat, but also Levoča and many historical figures of Hungarian history. The last reconstruction of the castle, which is known as a historical, took place in the seventies of the 18th century. Big southeast bastion was rebuilt into a richly decorated chapel with a rare inventory.
Beginning of the 19th century, the old owners did not provide sufficient strength and comfort, therefore, left it and moved to nearby castles. In 1817, after a lightning strike burned the castle, the former owner of the castle but considered it important to give the correct symbol of the family. However, it was only the most urgent rescue. Andrássyovci family finally left the castle and the country in 1944 as a result of expropriation and nationalization of the castle Benes decrees. Since 1948 the castle was declared state property and 13 years later as a national cultural monument.
Because Castle Beautiful Hôrka war or succumbed to post-war looting, there have been preserved collections of weapons exhibited in the 19th century, historical photos, original castle kitchen, lounge music, funeral carriage of Countess Frances in 1904, mostly from the 16th Armor - 17 century, extremely rare Renaissance chair, from Rimini (1450), historical furniture, paintings and many other priceless exhibits.
The visitors could see everything in this unique strength to 10 March 2012. On this day the accident happened, which had disastrous consequences for the castle. Due to the negligence of local youths burst into fire that jumped on the wooden roof structure and thus has ignited a fire. Fortunately, responsive museum staff, volunteers and rescue forces managed to rescue more than 90% precious inventory of the castle and extinguish the fire. Shortly after this disaster, the Slovak National Museum turned to the people, institutions and organizations for help and launched a fundraising campaign to restore the public benefit and protection of cultural monuments, castle of Krásná Hôrka.
Public collection will be throughout the territory of the Slovak Republic from 13 March 2012 to 13 March 2013 and noting that voluntary funds in a separate account public collections 7 thousand 443743/8180, led by the Treasury directly, money order or bank transfer contributors. Responsible for collection of Rastislav Púdelka, Managing Director of the Slovak National Museum, who thanks to all people, who want to help in restoring this symbol of Slovakia.
Text: Oskar Mažgút
Photo: SNM, Oscar Mažgút
|Discussion at the article (0)|
Information and warnings on travelling abroad is to be found HERE.