SK, Dolné Lovčice: A Village With Sights and Flowers - VIDEO
Before we take to the streets, let's look at history. Dolné Lovčice is first mentioned in written form in 1292, when the village was the property of Michael de Loch. Loch was then the name of the homestead. The current name has been used since 1883.
Among the first visited attractions was the sculpture of the Virgin Mary and St. Francis from 1799. Originally it stood in front of the family house, but after reconstruction in 2013 it was solemnly consecrated and moved to the former school garden in front of the church. At the same time, it was declared a national cultural monument.
The park in front of the church is complemented by a wooden cross and the Stations of the Cross. As Dolné Lovčice is part of the parish of Zavar, people had to come to the church there for many years. This was changed by the construction of the Church of St. Gorazd, which is decorated with a 14 meter high tower terminated by a double cross. The church is administered by the Roman Catholic Church and is run as a branch of the parish in Zavar. It was built in the early 1990s and was consecrated in 1994. It is located in the back of the park surrounded by lots of greenery. Thanks to it, you can easily overlook it.
The dominant feature of the village is clearly a brick bell tower. On the site of the original wooden bell tower, the locals built a brick one in 1929 and installed three bells in it. The largest has a diameter of 580 mm and two smaller 500 and 150 mm. It is interesting that the bell tower tilts because the subsoil recedes on one side.
The oldest building in the village is the Chapel of the Virgin Mary of the Seven Sorrows, which was built in the mid-18th century. In the past, a statue of the Virgin Mary of the Seven Sorrows was placed in it, made of pear wood, which was worshiped annually until 1948 with pilgrimages. In 1994, the statue was transferred from the chapel to the church and has remained there to this day.
In addition to the House of Mourning and a number of beautiful tomb crosses, the local cemetery also houses the main cross, which was built by Ján Hrušovský and his wife Anna in 1925. At the end, you can also stop at a brick chapel, probably a funeral. It has no inscription on its walls and is not mentioned in other materials of the village.
At the very end of Dolná Lovčice, in the direction of Zavar, on the left side there is a statue of St. Joseph with Jesus, which was built in the first half of the 20th century. According to a poorly legible inscription, it is from 1886.
The village of Dolné Lovčice offers not only beautiful sacral monuments, but also nicely decorated potted streets.
Text, photos, video: Pavol Jemala, Slovensko zdola
Music: Pixabay, Piano soft sound; ambient background
|Discussion at the article (0)|
Information and warnings on travelling abroad is to be found HERE.