en.infoglobe.cz » Sovinec castle

Sovinec castle

Published: 19.9.2008
Sovinec is a most extended castle-complex in Bruntál district. It is situated on rocky headland in mountain valley of Low Jeseník Mountings.

Sovinec belongs to very busy culture centres of Moravia-Silesia Region. To very popular events, arranged regularly in a castle, is to be placed in order Market of People Handicrafts (in folklore spirit). You can watch here the customs - such as Spring Welcome, Easter traditions, as well as performance of many musical groups. The visitors will be interested, for sure, in performances of jugglers´, magicians and knights, demonstrating their abilities with swords. There are shows in castle-conquest, sightseeing of field-camps, weapons as well as war-tecnics exhibitions. The Sovinec castlewhole programme is finished with great fireworks. Culture saison is ended by so called  „Steward Testament“, when especially successfull performances (programmes) are repeated. Except of these great cultural arrangements, there are possible to be followed meetings of various groups, as for instance collectors´meetings. There are often organized exhibitions of art. Famous Czech photographer, Jindřich Štreit, as well as painter Aleš Lamr, exhibited here their works.

Nearby the castle, there is placed St.Augustin church of 1845. The building has one-nave rectangular character, and it is constructed in Neo-Classical style. The church is shined through, thanks to semi-circular windows, from all parts, which is a typical sign for this style. Slim ortogonal tower of church bell-tower is a place of interest for visitors. This is lengthened part of older Gothic bastion.

It is a pity that the church is closed for the time being, so no masses are held here. First notice about the castle is from a document of 1348. We assume that Sovinec castlethe castle was founded in the same year and was in possession of Vok of Sovinec. After his death, the castle was enlarged (by John, his son). Around the nucleus, narrow corridor was established there. At that time period, provisional castle fortification was substituted with stone and powerful fortification. In the course of Hussite wars, the castle fortification was improved. Later, when Sovinec came into administration of Pňovsky of Sovinec Parentage, several late Gothic arrangements were effected, with a purpose to enlarge the castle, south and north palaces were built. The historians are of the opinion that a fortification belt was created on southern and eastern part of the castle. In 1494, a chapel was established. Parentage of Boskovice, who bought a castle in 1543, started with its rebuilding in Renaissance seat.

Extensive building activity in a castle continued during stay of Lawrence Eder from Štiavnica. He owned the castle since 1578, and John older Kobylka of Kobylí, his son-in-law, last Bohemian owner of the castle, inherited it afterthat. In coming years, after devastated invasions of Swedish troops, the castle changed its owners several times. Order of German Knights possessed the castle for very long time period, till a moment when this Order finished their activity in 1939 and was Sovinec castlecancelled at the same time. However, later the importance of castle decreased, and after great fire in 1784, only the basic arrangements were made. Since 1840, there was here a seat of Order Seminary, and since 1867, school of forestry. Nevertheless, in 1919 the castle got compulsory administration and Czechoslovak Republic took over the castle. This way of administration finished in 1924. Later, in 1940, the castle served as prisoners-camp of German Wehrmacht - for forced stay of French officers and Polish soldiers. Russian prisoners (captives) were in jail in Dlouhá Loučka castle. However, after 1945, the castle burned out totally, and most of German population of Dlouhá Loučka and Sovinec had to leave the country, and consequently, the captive camp was closed. During 1950-1960, the reconstruction works were effected. Nowadays, the castle is in an administration of Bruntál-Museum and reconstruction works continue.

Guided tour leads through first-fifth courtyard, further via so called „Horní hrad“ (Upper Castle) with view tower. In each building, i.e. in castle palace, burgrave-rooms and stables, there are held various exhibitions.


Text: Denisa Arvajová

Photo: Wikimedia Commons, Jofre, Radek Bartoš, č.2, č.3

Discussion at the article (0)


Czech republic


We were awarded the certificate even thanks to you!

Dôveryhodná firma 2017



Important Information:

Information and warnings on travelling abroad is to be found HERE.

Mobile application:

aplikácia Infoglobe

stiahnuť zadarmo pre Androidstiahnuť zadarmo pre iPhone



Today:sunday 24. 1. 2021
sunday 24.1.
0 °C
monday 25.1.
0 °C