CZ: Prague Bridges III. - Jiráskův Bridge
Jiráskův Bridge, winding above the Vltava River the Smíchov district of Prague and the New Town, whose formation were triggered by stormy development of industrial Smíchov early 20th century. The bridge is a bridge between the Legion and Palacký, whereby the dominant can be identified is standing near the Dancing House, built by the architect Vlado Milunić. The bridge is named after the Czech writer Alois Jirásek.
Jiráskův bridge was built in 1929-1933 according to the project head office building of the bridge František Mencl and architect Vlastislav Hofman. On the Smíchov side in building the bridge interfered unique architectural monument, also known as the Jesuit dispensary Dienzenhofer pavilion, which was later dismantled. The pavilion is located the former botanical garden, so today's orchards, sprawling across the bridge, called Dientzenhofers.
The bridge has reinforced base, its total length is 310 meters. Width of the bridge is 21 meters and the right bank of the Vltava 26,9 meters. The bridge has six arches with a span of 44,8 - 51 feet, 8 reinforced ribs and six pillars lined with granite blocks. The bridge's concrete railing and lighting lampposts. The walls were built seamless pipes, which should if necessary be filled with charges of destruction of the bridge. During the German occupation the Germans cementing pipes to be taken out by Czech resistance fighters to blow up a bridge. During this period, the bridge named after Dienzenhofer.
The bridgehead bridge from both sides are placed high pylons (13,5 meters) with fountains and obelisks. Before on the bridge led tram tracks, but tracks were later removed and there went only trolleys and automobiles. Currently the bridge is used for vehicular traffic and pedestrians.
On the Smichov side bridge leads into Dienzenhofer orchards. They looks similar as in 1932 and are open to the public.
On the side of New Town the bridge goes to the street Resslova and Jiráskovo Square. At the corner of Resslova street stands the house where the famous Czech writer lived in 1903 - 1930. It was in this same writer, completed his major works F. L. Věk, Darkness, We, and others. Before the house is a park where there is a bronze statue of Alois Jirásek from the workshop of sculptor Karel Pokorný.
The Dancing House, stands on the opposite corner of Resslova street is an example of modern architecture. It is the Nationale Nederlanden building, also known as the Dancing House or Fred and Ginger. It was built between 1994 - 1996 designed by world leading architects Vlado Milunić in cooperation with Frank O. Gehrym, the interiors were designed by the British realized the architect of Czech origin Eva Jiřičná. The building was inspired by the famous American dance pair of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.
Text: Maxim Kucer
|Discussion at the article (0)|
Information and warnings on travelling abroad is to be found HERE.