Belize belongs to countries with rather high level of general criminality, frequently joined with drugs´ business. So, the highest prudence must be kept in capital Belmopan and on the border with Guatemala, where most numerous pilferages and attacks are registered.
So, we wish to recommend you to keep some basic rule, such as:
- keep your passport, including other valuable documents, air-ticket, etc. in hotel safe and travel with minimum of cash money only
- do not wear jewels, pay attention to valuable subjects - videocamera, photo-camera, etc.
- would you park in guarded parking places only, do not ever leave any subjects inside
- do not take hitch-hikers, order taxi-service by means of hotel-receptionist only, rent a car at well-known rent-offices only
- travel along main roads during day only
- travel with health security. would you check in advance the scope of its covering in Belize.
- pay attention to your lüggage and bag with documents in city centres, in hotel lobbies, on bus stops and directly inside buses (pilferages of personal pieces of luggage from a desk above heads of passenges in a bus are very frequent!).
Most of shops, restaurants, rent a car offices as well as hotels accept standard credit cards (VISA or MasterCard).
All main roads in Belize have its surface asphalted, and even less important roads are of relatively standard surface. Nevertheless, most suitable vehicle for travelling is to be recommended the car 4x4.
The beaches in Belize are relatively dangerous, as if does not seem like this. You can meet there rather strong streams, which could carry away some imprudent swimmer far away from the beach. So, you are recommended to take an increased caution for bathing in the sea.
In Belize, there is being used currency exchange as USD, the exchange of any other valuta is problematic. The exchange of USD to local currency (Belize Dollar) is possible in banks or in authorized exchange offices (Casas de Cambio).
As far as the health situation in the country is concerned, so, some tropical diseases are appearing in virgin forests, transferred by mosquitos (dengue fewer or malaria).
Dengue fewer is characteristic with very high temperatures (heat), pains of knuckles and muscles, total tiredness and with bleeding, in worse cases.
If the passenger has the intention to stay in Belize for longer time period outside tourist centres, the increased risk of infection with jaundice, cholera, dengue and intestines´ parasites exists. So, you are recommended to be vaccinated, before you leave, and undergone the respective medical inspection after your return.
We wish to recommend you to take, except standard medicines, the medicines against digestive troubles, sunburning creams with higher protective factor and repelents.
Further, you are recommended to drink, owing to local hygienic conditions, packed bottled water, peel all sorts of fruits and vegetables, or make the respective desinfection operation in antibacterial solution.
Important Phone Numbers:
Red Cross: 273 319
Information and warnings on travelling abroad is to be found HERE.