The first notice speak about the community of Gorazdějovice, founded by a priest Gorazděj.(St.Gorazd was in 997 declared as a Patron of a town). The community was raised to a town in 1292 by a King Wenceslas II. In past, there was an artificial breeding of pearl-bears, its fishing up was organised by Lordship only. The breeding was placxed in Mlýnská stoka (Mill Stagnant)which is a left arm of Otava-river. In 1809 and 1818 the fishing up participated also the Emperor Frank Joseph I. The last fishing up was in 1944 and the result was interesting – more than 20 thousands of pearl-bears were obtained – so it was tens of pieces of pearls.
On Square of Piece (Mírové náměstí) we find a church of St. Peter and Paul, built in 1260-1273. Inside you find a Gothic baptismal font and on the altar late Gothic Madonna of 1775. On the square there is situated town hall, here there is Town´s Office. Just opposite of town hall building there is plague column of Blessed Virgin Mary of 1725. The town´s dominante forms a castle. This Renaissance-Baroque is situated on a place of former water stronghold of 13th century. During 13th century the satronghold was rebuilt to a castle. Now, we find here the local museum, where we can admire the exposition of history of town and environs.
The other place of interest is Masné krámy (Butcher´s Shops), situated in Hradební street. In past, the shops were along both sides of a street, but, unfortunately after a fire in 1689, remain only one part with twelve houses, having its doors in Classic style, beside it there is inserted a shutter on sale-window. The shops have wooden ceilings.
On Huss Square we find a monastery church of Virgin Mary, in its second floor there live the nuns of Order Notre Dame. For sportsmen there is available a swimming-stadium, fitting-centre, lawn-tennis courts, soccer playground, climbing-wall.
As to cultural activities: so called Cultural Centre is available, further cinema, town´s museum, marionette theatre or theatre ensemble.
|Discussion at the article (0)|